Re: Upgrading libdbi-ocaml-dev in unstable brings in lots and lots of packages ...

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:43:12PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:20:49PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, the correct way would be to either reduce the dependencies of
> > libmysql-ocaml[-dev] or even reduce the dependencies of the mysql stuff
> > itself, or split it in a nox package or something.
>
> It sounds to me as if there are two 'correct' approaches (not that I'm
> an expert on Debian policy or anything ...):
>
> (1) Use Suggests instead of Depends.

Not correct, since major components of it are unusable without those
other packages.

> (2) Split up the libdbi-ocaml-dev package into a main package and a bunch
>     of packages containing each dbi_*.{cmo,mli} pair.

I have thought of that, but I don't think it's really worth the effort
at this point.  Theoretically, this should only add a few MBs of data,
and these are dev packages anyway.  I suggest bugging the MySQL people.
They shouldn't bring in all of Gnome just for a dev library :-)