Re: Accepted ocaml 3.08.0-1 (powerpc all source)

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:43:43AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther <luther@debian.org>:
>
> >  ocaml (3.08.0-1) unstable; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    * New upstream release.
> >    * Do not install the emacs files, until upstream gives a response about
> > the
> >      licencing issue. (Closes: #227159, #227163)
>      ^^^^^^^^^^
> You shouldn't have listened to those debian-legal morons: we could have
> lived with it as we used to. What about people who were using this
> mode and seeing it suddenly vanish?

Well, it is up to the ocaml team, i asked many times about it, but they didn't
even respond to me lately. There is also some agreement about this from some
people of the ocaml team, while i think it was Damien who rejected it.

I proposed a GPL-QPL dual licence, which should make Damien happy in case he
does an emacs reimplementation, but never got response anymore from them, so
the ball is clearly in the ocaml team camp.

Furthermore, this is also an argument in the larger QPL discussion going on,
in which you are free to participate if you feel like it.

> I think those people are wrong because:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL

Ok, i will read it. Currently the point is that RMS asked us not to do it, and
we are agreeing as a courtesy to him. I also have an half agreement from the
ocaml team to look at these things, but never got any action, so ...