Re: QPL non-DFSG compliance? What future for OCaml in Debian?

Sven Luther writes:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:21:57PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
>> Civil law countries define and treat contracts differently than common
>> law countries.  I'm not a lawyer, much less one specializing in
>> international law, so I can't very well say how valid that clause
>> would be in France.  My guess is that since contracts are more broadly
>> defined in those countries, it would be binding on licensees.
>
> Ok, sounds reasonable, altough i am no lawyer, and really would very much
> prefer to be bugfixing than all this non-sense.

I think we all would :)

> Still, if the choice of venue is binding, does this make it non-free or not ?

Most of debian-legal consider "choice of venue" clauses to be
non-free, since they compel any redistributor or even user of the
software to present themselves in a foreign court; even in the same
country, that can impose significant costs on the defendant.  I do not
know of debian-legal contributors who consider such clauses DFSG-free.

Michael Poole