Re: ocaml without X, how?

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:30:14AM +0100, Remi Vanicat wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > It could be done in common with the ocaml-toplevel split also we spoke
> > about.
> >
> > This would mean the following distribution :
> >

> > ocaml-base : Depends on ocaml-base-nox
> > ocaml-base-nox
> >
> > ocaml-toplevel: depends on ocaml-base
> > ocaml : depends on ocaml-toplevel
> > ocaml-native-compilers
> >
> > I am not sure i believe that removing X from the ocaml compiler suite is
> > worth it.
> >
> > Alternatively, we could split the libraries out of the ocaml package,
> > but again, is it worth the effort ?
>
> Well, I don't know for splitting the libraries, but if people began to
> wrote application in ocaml that are useful on server, to be able to
> install such an application without installing xlib is worth it (I
> believed).
>
> By the way, it seem that some of our user want it, so this mean that
> at least it have a value for them.

Yeah, ok, but splitting the X dependent ocaml-base stuff would be enough
for that, was i was talking about would be a package with the ocaml
compilers, and another with the libraries (well at least the otherlibs).

Since these are only needed at development, and are statically builtinto
the binary, i don't see the real need for this, which is why i am
asking.