Re: lib*-ocaml dependency on ocaml-base

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:57:43PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does someone remember why lib*-ocaml needs to depend on
> ocaml-base-X.Y? I received a mail from a libsdl-ocaml
> user who think that this is not requred.

libfoo-ocaml should depend on ocaml-base, since the corresponding files
in that package, which are only the dll.so stub libraries and nothing
more if i remember well, are totally useless without ocaml-base.

This does not apply to libfoo-ocaml-dev.

$ dpkg -L libsdl-ocaml
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libsdl-ocaml
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-ocaml
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-ocaml/HISTORY
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-ocaml/README
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-ocaml/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-ocaml/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-ocaml/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/ocaml
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.07
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/stublibs
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/stublibs/dllsdlloaderstub.so
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/stublibs/dllsdlmixerstub.so
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/stublibs/dllsdlstub.so
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/stublibs/dllsdlttfstub.so

So, i seriously doubt what use would be those dll.so libraries without
ocaml-base.

It doesn't really need to be a dependency, more to the contrary,
ocaml-base and libsdl-ocaml using bytecode should depend on
libsdl-ocaml, but that would not be practical.

What was the rationale of said user ?