Re: Extlib confusion

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 03:55:38PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:44:59AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > My question is: why are there two "extlibs" and what is the path
> > forward if I want to package the pennmush.org extlib for Debian?
>
> Historical reasons mostly. The extlib packaged in debian, which AFAICT
> is the first one, started from a huge thread on the ocaml list related
> to shortcoming of the offical ocaml standard library. Thus it started as
> a collaborative effort.
>
> The other extlib IIRC is maintained by just one guy who decided by
> himself to distribute some of his helpers to the world. I don't know the
> quality of the project because I've never looked at the code.
>
> It would be fantastic if we can manage to merge the two efforts and
> convince the latter extlib developer to join the other project (not the
> other way round just because the former extlib seems to be a larger
> project), but I don't know if it's possible or not and if it does make
> sense or not.
>
> If you're willing to do so you can start comparing the APIs of the two
> extlibs ...
>
> Cheers.

Hello,

Having a look at the two lib, i think there is no chance to have such a
merge. The debian extlib is a collection of pure ocaml libraries. The
hump extlib is a collection of C binding. And the debian extlib staff
will never use C binding :-( ( because they want to have a cross
platform lib ).

The fact i don't understand is why the hump extlib has changed his name
from stew to extlib ?

Kind regard
Sylvain LE GALL