irc chat about the freeze dates and the current ocaml situation.

Here is a little chat with vorlon (Steve Langasek), one of the two RMs. It
should clarify some of the stuff we worry about, and will bring the buildd
situation a bit further. I thought i would share it with you all.

10:19 -!- vorlon [vorlon@dsl093-039-086.pdx1.dsl.speakeasy.net] has joined
#debian-ocaml-maint
10:19 < svenl> hello vorlon.
10:20  * vorlon waves.
10:20 < svenl> have a look at :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2004/08/msg00186.html
10:21 < svenl> There i have listed, hopefully, the whole group of packages
that depend on ocaml, and their dependencies. They mostly are ok, but since
there
               are chain dependencies sometimes 4-5 long, the autobuilders
seem to try them in 2 week intervals or so.
10:22 < vorlon> ah, well, I just uploaded camlimages for alpha this evening...
10:23 < svenl> And naturally, we will need the ocaml 3.08.1 or legal bugfix
done, but upstream seems in holyday right now. He told me that end of august
               could be a possible date for 3.08.1 release.
10:23 < vorlon> I'll probably run through the rest of these on alpha as well,
since escher will never catch up (our only hope is that the replacement
                autobuilder will come on-line).
10:23 < svenl> that would be nice, thanks.
10:23 < svenl> I also wonder what is going on with ia64, since it last tried
lablgl which is blocking a whole lot of other things, on july 21 or so.
10:23 < vorlon> I can't do much about the other architectures; their
autobuilders are also heavily loaded now, of course.
10:24 < svenl> yeah, what i wonder is if some of them need manual hinting ?
And are there devel machines i can build those on that are not autobuilders ?
10:24 < vorlon> ia64 is fairly easy to twist someone's arm over.
10:24 < svenl> i should write debian-ia64 then ?
10:25 < vorlon> ia64@buildd.debian.org is better.
10:25 < vorlon> for the archs you have there with the biggest number of
unbuilt packages, there are no devel machines you can log into to do the
builds.
10:26 < vorlon> we'll just have to wait for the autobuilders to catch up.
10:27 < svenl> Ok, i just wondered how this will be handled with regard to the
freeze date. The packages are mostly in good shape, just we should have waited
               with one day delay or something when uploading.
10:28 < svenl> There is still one upload pending, mldonkey, and then most of
the ocaml pool will be ready. ocaml-nums need to be quicked by hand from
testing
               though, since it is now provided by ocaml 3.08 again.
10:29 < svenl> Ok, thanks for clarification, can i post this little exchange
to the debian-ocaml-maint mailing list for the other devels to know about it ?
10:31 < vorlon> How this will be handled with regard to the freeze date is
that a lot of people have a lot of work to do on autobuilders & release
management
                if we're going to meet those deadlines.
10:31 < vorlon> And if we don't meet the deadlines, we don't meet them, but
we're certainly not going to screw over maintainers in that case.
10:34 < svenl> Ok, cool.
10:35 < svenl> i mailed ia64-buildd, let's see how it happens. Maybe i can ask
some people with m68k hardware to do the builds by hand or something too.
10:39 < svenl> vorlon: so, can i quote you in a debian-ocaml-0maint post ?
10:39 < vorlon> sure.
10:39 < svenl> Ok, thanks.