Re: libdbi-ocaml depends on X, other things

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 05:17:19PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:03:15AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > But can libdbi-ocaml be changed so that it doesn't depend on the
> > > database libraries directly (but 'suggests' them)?  It ought to still
> > > work, surely, unless you actually tried to use dbi_xxx in which case
> > > it should correctly give an error.
> >
> > That's already how it works.  I think you may be confusing libdbi-ocaml
> > with libdbi-ocaml-dev.
>
> Ah yes, probably.  Unfortunately on my webserver I need both of these
> packages, because we compile all our CGI scripts on the server rather
> than distributing binaries.  Why does the -dev package require these
> extra packages?

In order to link most programs that use OcamlDBI, you have to have the
libraries around, since our OcamlDBI package is compiled with support
for them.  I think the proper resolution to this is to find out which db
library is pulling in the crap and make it stop.

-- John