Re: Fwd: Cryptokit port to Numerix

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 01:30:01PM -0800, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> Sven -
>
> Fabio suggested that I contact you for help with packaging the Numerix and
> Cryptokit OCaml libraries.  (He and Peter are packaging the SKS OpenPGP

Cool.

Please notice that there is also the debian-ocaml-maint mailing lists,
where all the debian/ocaml maintainers and some other interested in
packaging ocaml stuff in debian gather. You should consider joining
there.

> keyserver, which uses these libraries, and I wound up packaging the libraries
> in the course of getting an SKS instance up.)  I have attached the e-mail I
> sent to Xavier Leroy (the Cryptokit upstream) offering him my changes to

And the ocaml upstream too.

> Cryptokit to replace its use of the non-free Nat bignum library with Numerix.

Mmm, Xavier did already reimplement bignum in the CVS version. I am
considering packaging it in experimental for now. Can you make use of
that ? Also the copyright is actually in HP hands, and i asked Bdale to
look into it. Sadly, he has not time, and the actual stuff seems to be
lost in huge piles of paperwork inherited from Dec and then Compaq.

> Preliminary numerix and cryptokit source packages are on http://
> www-static.sane.net/.  I originally cribbed debian/rules, etc. from extlib,
> but am now rewriting them based on your pcre-ocaml source package.  (It seems

Well, it is more Stefano's package, but it is true that we currently
co-maintain it. Also, there is the ocaml-pkg or whatever alioth project,
which include the SVN repository where we are migrating our
co-maintained packages to.

> best to use ocaml-findlibs, and hopefully the weirdness I am having with

I personnally don't like findlibs, but indeed it is a good tool to use.

> bytecode compilation of the ported cryptokit will go away.)  Up until a
> couple of days ago I had never used OCaml, so I could definitely use
> packaging pointers.

Did you read the ocaml-packaging-policy ? It is in the SVN repository,
but also in /usr/lib/ocaml/3.07.

> IANADD, so I will also need an upload sponsor if these packages are to go into
> the archive.  Peter and Fabio have both expressed willingness, but Fabio
> thought it would be good to have a sponsor who uses OCaml.  I would

Yep. Altough they still can sponsor the actual uploads, and we can give
you counsel on packaging and everything.

> appreciate it very much if you would consider sponsoring.  (My changes to
> Cryptokit will obviously need some review before they are uploaded; the
> upstream cryptokit can't go into main because it depends on non-free parts
> that have been removed from ocaml, and it would be nice if cryptokit and sks
> made it into sarge main.)

You should have asked before. I believe that the API-identic
reimplementation that is currently in the ocaml CVS should have been
enough to not need your work, altough i don't really understand the
issues involved here. I will do a ocaml-cvs package, and you can then
try it out, and tell me more about it.

BTW, is cryptokit packaged, and if so, in which package does it belong ?