Re: Fwd: Cryptokit port to Numerix

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 03:29 pm, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 02:42:33PM -0800, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 December 2003 01:09 am, Sven Luther wrote:
[snip]
> > The port to Numerix was easy enough, and gained 10-30% performance on RSA
> > operations on my test system; may be better on memory management scores
> > as
>
> Well, Xavier claims a 50% speed improvement of the new bignum library
> over the old one for athlon 64, pentium 4 and powerpc.

I'll be interested in seeing the numbers for cryptokit RSA ops with the new
bignum; I think most of the speed gain in the Numerix port had to do with the
Numerix powmod operation mentioned below.  I didn't do anything special for
speed's sake otherwise, although I was systematic about minimizing the number
of temp variables needed.

[snip]

> Yeah sure. You don't even need to be a DD, just become a member of the
> alioth project.

OK.  I'll ask Stefano to consider adding me as a Developer on pkg-ocaml-maint.

[snip]

> > I am open to other tools as well; I am new to OCaml and guessed that
> > findlib was the most common way of setting up shared libraries, etc.
> > Please correct me if that's incorrect.
>
> Well, i personnally prefer the good old manual way, but others disagree.

Could you point me to a package that does it the manual way, and a program
that uses the library installed by that package?  I want to make sure I'm
putting all the pieces in the right place.

[snip]

> > IMO it should wind up in libcryptokit-ocaml and libcryptokit-ocaml-dev.
> > The upstream build doesn't seem to make shared libraries (which will be
> > needed for libcryptokit-ocaml AIUI), so I will need to do some rework.
> > (I'm working
>
> Well, the shared libraries are only really needed if there is a dll.so,
> built from C stubs. I don't remember well if this is the case for
> cryptokit or if it is a native ocaml library.

cryptokit does have C portions and builds a dll.so (as a side effect of
running ocamlmklib).  As mentioned above, I'm not quite sure what to do with
it, since cryptokit's "make install" target doesn't do anything with it.

> > on the Numerix packages now, which will include libnumerix and
> > libnumerix-dev (C interface) as well as libnumerix-ocaml and
> > libnumerix-ocaml-dev.
>
> Ok, cool.

These packages are getting close; I will have candidates as soon as the dll.so
is added.

> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Thanks,