Re: Getting mod_caml and perl4caml into Debian

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:55:20PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > [I'm writing this to you in particular because you seem to be responsible
> > for a lot of the OCaml packages in Debian.]

I tottally agree with all that Sven told you. I'm going to add some
personal remarks.

We debian ocaml packages are not so much and, as Sven told you, is not
possible to us to package everything. Thus there are two ways to have
your, perhaps really interesting, packages in debian:

the easy one)
  find some debian developer interested in packaging them (or convince
  one of them from scratch :-)

the hard one)
  prepare your own debian packages, asking obviously for help when
  needed here on this mailing list, and then find some of us willing to
  be a sponsor for the packages

I will _strongly_ suggest you the ... suspence ... hard way! The reason
is simple: you're the upstream author and you seem really active
(judging from the amount of announcement you send on the ocaml mailing
list :-). Create debian packages require some basic knowledge, but once
you got it, it's surely no harder than programming in OCaml! Being the
upstream author makes you the best possible debian maintainer for your
software.

Moreover (frankly, this is probably the major reason) if you're both
interested in Debian, as it seems, and in OCaml, as it seems, please
consider that we need your help for packaging not only yours, but also
other pieces of ocaml related software.

Once you've chosen the hard way, becoming a debian developer is just a
step after.

Thanks for your contribution
to the free software community.

Stefano Zacchiroli  --  Master in Computer Science @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it}  -  http://www.bononia.it/zack/
"  I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!  " -- G.Romney