Re: proposal: new ocaml dirs schema

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 08:29:14PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> writes:
>
> > ----- Forwarded message from Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> -----
>
> What is the meaning of all those forwards?

Because i was stupid, and did a reply to the automatic message from the
pts, and my reply was thus sent to debian-devel and stefano. Stefano was
so kind as to sent the messages to the list, where they belonged.

I hope he will have had time to adapt the forwarding stuff to rewrite
Reply-to.

>   I'm not sure that it is a good idea. Do we really want multiple versions
>   of ocaml at a time?

If it does not cost much ?

And i have got people asking about this, and it can make sense in some
cases. In particular, this would enable me to package cvs snapshots.

>   Unstable is dedicated to development and is not targeted at the end
>   user so it may break sometimes. And unstable is the right place to
>   handle transitions like the OCaml one.
>   So when we swtich to another OCaml, we are hopefully forced to
>   quickly recompile libraries.
>
>   When a program is compiled with a given version of ocaml and wants
>   to use a library that is compiled with another ocaml (or worse,
>   is linked against a dll.so), you'll have troubles and you'll need to
>   recompile it anyway.

No, because each version of ocaml will only know about the libraries
that are compiled with the exact same version.

>   Better avoid any problem by making something uninstalable.

No, i don't think there will be a problem.

>   My conclusion: you proposal works fine IFF we provide versioned
>   packages of our libraries.

Mmm, i don't believe this would be a problem, if you build the package
with a given version, then it will go in the ocamllibdir of that
version, and another version of ocaml will not know about it.