Re: Cameleon packages almost done

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:26:27AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I have almost finished the preparation of the Cameleon packages
>   (Thanks Dimitri Ara for upstream fixes).
>
>   However, I still have some wonderings:
>   - as defined by upstream, all cameleon libraries are being
>     installed in /usr/lib/ocaml/cameleon, so how do I manage
>     META files?
>   - Cameleon provides IoXML which is a Camlp4 syntax extension.
>     We don't have any naming policy for syntax extensions.
>     (Stefano proposed ocaml-ioxml because he thinks that ioxml
>     is too generic)
>   - what naming policy should I use for ocaml program that have
>     a quite generic name (for example "report"). Should I use
>     a ocaml- prefix? How do we consider a program name is
>     too generic?
>
>   Now, I have a request to Maxence: for any ocaml program in
>   Cameleon, you should build either the bytecode version or
>   the native one; I don't think building both is usefull.
>   Currently, in the debian package, I'm providing only the
>   native version when available and the bytecode one when not
>   (with the same name).

Hello Jerome.

There was a question about cameleon compilation on debian on the
caml-list today, about someone who is not able to build cameleon on a
unstable debian system. Here is what he says :

I followed the instructions in the INSTALL file, with "./configure
--include-dir /usr/lib/ocaml". It complained that "pa_zog.cma" not in
the search path. I cd to zoggy subdirectory and "make pa_zog.cma" to
resolve the problem. Other errors I don't know how to fix easily. They
include "Unbound value C.string" in "omom_gui_variables.ml", "Unbound
module Cam_plug" when compile "utils.ml".

Do you have any idea of what he is speaking about ?

Maybe we should advertize that people at least cross post such questions
here, altough these questions may more be upstream related, i don't
really know.

BTW, what is the status of the cameleon packages you are working on.