Re: priorities between virtual packages ...

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:30:26AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > BTW, it would be nice to have the short description shown in addition to
> > the package name and version.
> >
> > Matthias Urlich suggested to me that a priority field or something such
> > in the .dsc file could solve my problem. I am ready to implement this
>
> This is already done, but only for dependencies that are resolved
> automatically.

Mmm, how do you specify the priorities ?

> The command line has to specify a real package if there are
> mutliple choices, that can't go away.

Mmm, so there is no solution this way.

Does this mean, that if i call the native package foo, and the
bytecode package foo-bytecode or something such, and that foo-bytecode
provides foo, then if i do an apt-get install foo, it will take the real
package foo in preference over the virtual one, but take the virtual
package if there is no real native package available ?

If this is so, it solves my problem quite nicely.

But then, is this behavior fixed, or may it be subject to change later
on ?

> > Also, i may be willing to look at the versioned virtual depends while i
> > am at it also. Is there any material already available or a hint at a
>
> That needs to be implemented by dpkg first..

Ok, so i will be looking at the dpkg code then.

Thanks for your help.