Re: Shall we state on naming (again)?

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 08:28:36PM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:43:52PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
>
> > BTW, please don't forget to use correct dependencies with every ocaml
> > package that use bytecode code, even if it is standalone code, it should
> > depend on ocaml-base-3.06, not some other strange stuff. Especially all
> > older (well those in woody at least) such package that do not have both
> > the ocaml-base (>= 3.04) and ocaml-base (<< 3.05) dependencies are
> > _BROKEN_. But then they are in woody, nothing much we can do on this.
>
> Should we really always restrict dependency to one particular
> upstream version of ocaml? That would be safest, I agree. On the

It is recomended by upstream, and all manner of things will break if it
is not done.

> other hand it will prevent a new upstream version of ocaml to go
> into testing unless all packages compiled into bytecode are
> ready to go with it.

Well, this is a problem i agree, but then, i prefer all packages
entering testing at the same time (that is what we have testing for in
the first place) than having packages in testing that expect a 3.04
ocamlrun and finding an 3.06 one.

A solution for this would be, when a new ocaml is released (3.07 for
example), to package it as ocaml version 3.07, and additionally repackage
ocaml 3.06 as ocaml-old-3.06 or something such, which will provide the
ocaml-base-3.06 needed by the packages containing 3.06 bytecode
executables.

Well, maybe it is too heavy, maybe we would only need to keep
ocaml-base, but then, we would need all the libraries (well, at least
the stublibs) and we need to keep a compiler suite around to rebuild
such library packages in order to fix bugs or such.

All in all, it can be done, but i don't really know if it would be
needed (But then this would mean moving /usr/lib/ocaml to
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.07), i don't think this is a change i am ready to
handle with the current 3.06, maybe when there is a new release. And we
could well go with a full support of multiple ocaml releases if we go
this way.

There was something else as well, but i forgot it ...

BTW, i am building ocaml 3.06-6.1 for ia64, and will upload it yet this
evening, this would let only the sparc package.