Re: purge_ld_conf.pl [Was: Re: the move to stublib]

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:45:16PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> Ok, i will do in ocaml 3.06-7, which will be released when we have
> solved the other issue.

Ok, never forget the final "#DEBHELPER#", otherwise debhelpers generated
scripts won't be added.

> BTW, what if i dpkg --force-depends --purge ocaml-base, this will remove
> the /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf file, but the installed libraries will not
> know about this ?

We have not to care about "--force-depends", quoting from 'dpkg
--force-help':

  WARNING - use of options marked [!] can seriously damage your
  installation.

and -depends is marked with a '!', the manpage enforce this:

   Warning: These options are mostly intended to be used by experts
   only.  Using  them without fully understanding their effects may
   break your whole system.

So, if a user is doing something like that is not our problem.

Anyway, if you want you can use a debconf[1] dialog or something like
that which test if /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf is empty, if it is not the
case it can ask the user if he really wants to remove the file.

If you choose such a solution you also have to test for the presence of
/var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf before creating a new one while installing the
ocaml-base package.

Last I don't know if is good and/or admitted to have a file in /var/lib
that doesn't belong to any package, but I can't a better solution (other
that moving /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf somewhere in /etc, but we all agree
on that file not to be a conffile).

Cheers.

[1] I don't know how that stuff works anyway

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro