Summary on ocaml-ldconf bug [Was: Re: findlib 0.7.1 - package available]

Two news: one good and one bad.

The good one:

  no problem for modification to /etc/ocaml/ld.conf, that was my fault:
  I expected /etc/ocaml/ld.conf format to be the same as
  /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf ... yes I had not read the manpage of
  ocaml-ldconf :-(((

  Anyway to avoid others' lazyness mistake I suggest to patch
  ocaml-ldconf so that it output a warning or an error message if
  /etc/ocaml/ld.conf isn't in the expected format.

The bad one:

  the upgrading problem is real and is a bug in dh_ocamlld (I'm going to
  submit the bug just after this mail): while upgrading to a new package
  version, "postrm" script is invoked with "upgrade" argument (in $1),
  while dh_ocamlld generated postrm will check only for "remove"
  argument so that if you remove a package, the path is removed from
  /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf, if you upgrade the package to a version that
  no longer need that path, the path will remain in
  /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf. This is just the case for all packages that
  currently ships private .so dirs and from now on will put shared
  objects in /usr/lib/ocaml/stublibs.

  What we can do to purge this dirs? IMO we can patch ocaml-ldconf so
  that it remove dirs that contains no shared objects (outputting a
  warning) and invoke ocaml-ldconf in postinst script of the new
  ocaml package. Probably we can also consider as a special case
  stublibs dir, not excluding it even if it contains no shared objects.
  Any other idea?

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney