Re: Versioning OCaml in Debian [Was: Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf]

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 12:28:46AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 03:20:48PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:52:55PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > > This is exactly why installing modules under /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/
> > > makes sense: when you upgrade to 3.05, you can recompile only the
> > > modules you want now, and let less used modules survive in
> > > /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/.  If ocaml 3.05 also search files under

Myself, i feel convinced, maybe we should go this way, it seems
reasonable to me, but lets discuss this a bit more, anyway, i will do no
new package until the woody release.

> I am not a Java addict, and thus am unable to fully understand what
> Jacques Garrigue wrote, but his post
>    http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200205/msg00198.html
> is attractive, especially the last sentence:
>    In my opinion simple (one variable), standard (think Java), and clean.
> But I do not know if it exactly fits our needs.

Basically, java uses a JAVAPATH or CLASSPATH env variable to look for
the stuff it needs, i don't feel this is a big gain, and it is already
possible anyway.