Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 05:11:50AM -0600, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 12:29:46PM -0600, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, I ran into this myself.  I'd be nice if hand installed
> >> packages were supported easily (through findlib or other ways),
> >> since we can't expect all ocaml packages to have .debs.
> >
> > There is the README.Debian file, the ocaml-ldconf man page and the
> > debian packaging policy, not speaking about the online help of
> > ocaml-ldconf, which all tell you explicitly to modify
> > /etc/ocaml/ld.conf, or are you telling me you did read neither of
> > those, nor the discution we had here about it previously, nor even
> > the comment on top of the /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf file ?
> >
> > I wonder what i write documentation for then, maybe i should use my
> > time for more important things if nobody ever reads it.
>
> Your documentation allowed me to figure things out when they went
> wrong.
>
> But things went wrong because the install procedures for
> non-Debianized ocaml packages somehow find /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf and
> think they can modify it.  This is not ideal no matter how well it is
> documented.  :-)
>

> >> findlib touches /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf, which is a generated file in
> >> Debian.  Ideally the Debian's findlib should be patched to not do
> >> this.
> >
> > Yes, this would be good, and maybe resolve the problems Sergio was
> > speaking about.
>
> Maybe even go one more and "hide" /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf from even
> non-findlib installs.  Make them think ld.conf lives somewhere else.
> Then ocaml-ldconf can merge the changes into the real ld.conf in a
> controlled way.
>
> But I'm not sure it is possible to "trick" packages in this way.  I
> see that OcamlMakefile likes to use "ocamlc -where" to find ld.conf.

I just need to make ld.conf read only, or even patch ocaml to use
debian-ld.conf or something such, and things will work out well.

Anyway, this is a post woody thing, and i will concert with upstream and
here before making any kind of hard decision on this.

> But on a packaged managed system like Debian, there are really two
> questions, not one:
>
>     "where" is the ld.conf that ocamlc uses at runtime?

The same old one.

>     "where" is the ld.conf that packages should modify at install
>     time?

This is a dual response, packages should use ocaml-ldconf and the
debhelper which modifies /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf and use installed
packages should modify /etc/ocaml/ld.conf.

Anyway, i am aware of the many problems now, and the first post woody
release will be changing things.

> Maybe ocamlc needs an -install-where option.
>

> >> Perhaps findlib could add entries to a new
> >> /etc/ocaml/findlib-ld.conf file that ocaml-ldconf reads when
> >> creating /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf.
> >
> > Why not the simple /etc/ocaml/ld.conf ?
>
> I didn't suggest it because /etc/ocaml/ld.conf seems to have a
> different syntax so packages thinking they are editing a real ld.conf
> may mess things up.  Is this a real problem, or am I confused?

I will modify ocaml-ldconf so it will also handle plain old ld.conf
files.

Friendly,

Sven ULther