Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 08:31:11AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >  What do you mean? findlib already manages ld.conf correctly, adding
> > >  and removing lines. The problem is findlib used by hand + ocaml
> > >  debian packages.
> >
> > findlib touches /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf, which is a generated file in
> > Debian.  Ideally the Debian's findlib should be patched to not do
> > this.
>
> Yes, this would be good, and maybe resolve the problems Sergio was
> speaking about.

I've already required such a feature to Gerd some months ago, it will be
available as a command line flag in the next findlib release (something
like -no-ldconf or simliar).
By the way Gerd told me that a workaround solution is to set CAMLLIB to
a foo value while doing "ocaml install", for example:

  CAMLLIB=`pwd` ocamlfind instal ....

In this way if the current directory contains an ld.conf the line that
points to the .so directory will be added to that file, otherwise (no
ld.conf found in the current directory) ocamlfind issue a warning
stating that no ld.conf is found and continue with the usual
installation.
This is the solution that I use in almost all my debian packages.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney