Re: buildd and virtual (build) dependencies :(((

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 07:02:31PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > Hello everyone,
>
> Hello,
>
> > I just got mail from James Troup, telling me that the buildd has problem
> > with us using virtual packages as build depends, and asking me to stop
> > doing this.
> >
> > I have asked him for more info on this, and we will see if it really is
> > a problem or not, and if we need to find a better solution.
> >
> > Anyway, this is just for build depends, not for normal depends, and i
> > guess we may be able to build depend on normal packages only, i will
> > have a look at it.
> >
> > Anyway, this will only cause problems in the transition phases, like the
> > one we did just have, or maybe the 3.06->3.07 one.
>
> Well, it is currently a problem because we all depend on ocaml-3.06 which
> is a virtual package. I also use ocaml-source-3.06 for cameleon.

Well, this could be ocaml-3.06-1, right ?

Mmm, i did not change the ocaml-source virtual package version to -1,
but i think this is ok, since we did not change anything in the source
package.

BTW, wouldn't it be simpler to simply move the files you need from the
source package to the cameleon package ?

> I'm waiting for your additional information.

Well, let's see what is the problem. As i see it, it isn't really a
problem, but we should wait a bit more between the upload of a new
incompatible ocaml package (a new virtual version) and the packages that
depends on it. This way, ocaml-3.06-1 would have been present when the
libraries get autobuilded, and maybe no problem would have occured. That
said, maybe there are other problems which we are not aware of, so let's
wait for further info.

Also this may cause problems with Stefano's plan for library depends.

That said, maybe it could be solved with :

1) fixing the buildds.

2) changing dpkg/buildd so we can provide another version field or
something such, similar to the so names of C libraries.

3) use a new versioning scheme, which would use the upstream version
(3.06) and a compatibility number in the debian version or something
like that (3.06-1-15 for example). That said, i don't really know how we
can do this without ugliness in the versioning stuff.

I will try to ask James Troup on irc about it, is nick is elmo, right ?