Re: <pkg>-byte

Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 10:56:59AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>   What should we do with /usr/share/doc directories when
>>   we ship <pkg>-byte?
>
> Well, upto now, i didn't do anything, and the doc directory was
> spamoracle-byte.
>
> It is not a good solution though. And since both packages conflicts, it
> makes sense to move the
>
>>   I'd propose that:
>>   /usr/share/doc/pkg be the real directory and
>>   /usr/share/doc/pkg-byte be a symlink to it.
>
> Mmm, that or the other way around.
>
> I think it is less work to do it the other way around, you have to mess
> more in the debian/rules file to do it like you propose. In the other
> way around you just need to add a symlink, which can easily be done.

What I had in mind is if the user apt-get install ocaml-zoggy and
ocaml-zoggy-byte is installed because no native version is available,
he may want to search for documentation in /usr/share/doc/ocaml-zoggy
rather than /usr/share/doc/ocaml-zoggy-byte.

This was just a thought, before I do anything because dpkg does not
want to replace dirs by symlinks and symlinks by dirs (for very good
reasons), so I must do the right thing at the beginning.

Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org