Re: the move to stublib

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:35:47PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > from which ld.conf did you take this data? My ld.conf (both
> > /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf and /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf) don't report any path
> > like that.
>
> I guess you either ran ocaml-ldconf yourself, or had an upgrade for
> another package who did it.

No, I simply wasn't using the bugged package yet.

> > I posted the patch sometimes ago for dh_ocamlld, but seems to me that it
> > isn't yet in the ocaml package, I will repost it attached to this mail.
> > The reference thread is on this ML, with subject "Summary on
> > ocaml-ldconf bug" around date July 08. (The patch is for
> > /usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postrm-ocamlld).
>
> Mmm, i applied a patch, but maybe it was lost when my work box crashed.
>
> I will apply it in a new upload.

Ack.

> Well, send it to me privately, or better yet, send it to the BTS, and i
> will check the changes and apply it by hand.

Sure.

> > Anyway fixing the bug does not solve the problem for who have currently
> > installed packages built with buggy version of dh_ocamlld, so IIRC we
> > told about adding a check for spurious path in ld.conf directly in the
> > ocaml package, check that we forgot to add.
>
> Well, maybe or maybe not. How do you propose we do that ? I suppose that
> a spurious ppath for you is one that is in /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf but
> not in the associated package.

No, a spurious path is an entry in /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf (coming from
/var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf) that is there only because dh_ocamlld create a
package which doesn't remove that path when "upgrading" to a new version
but only when "removing" the package.
So when you upgrade a library to a version that no longer need entry in
/var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf you have a 'spurious' entry.

> A better idea would be to fix dh_ocamlld so that it works as planed, and
> have it run even if the path entry is empty.

It doesn't solve the problem for guys that have currently installed
packages created with a buggy version of dh_ocamlld. This is the reason
why I propose a ocaml postinst solution. I can't see any other solution
(apart from have each library package check to see if old useless entry
are still in some ld.conf, but this is a spreading of work instead of
centralizing it in a single package).

> That said, this would mean performing this check each time we install
> this package in the future, which is ok, but eats some uneeded
> ressources. Ideally, we could launch this script conditionally if the
> version of the installed library package is less than a certain version
> (less than the version which first implements this), but i don't know if
> that is possible.

Is possible but is a lot of work compared to that in a single postinst
script in the ocaml package.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney