Re: Changes in the policy ?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 01:24:03PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I decided to hold the upload of the new ocamlsdl package
>   since some changes are going to be made in the OCaml policy,
>   with respect to the new findlib release.
>
>   Could someone summarize what will have to change in package?
>   - mandatory META file ?

Well, this one is just the META file that you should add, in order to
comply to this policy, if the META file don't exist from upstream then
you can either :

  o ship a non policy compliant package (worse case situation)
  o write on yourself, taking an existing META file as an example, and
    maybe post it on the debian-ocaml-maint mailing list.
  o ask upstream to write a META file
  o ask on of the findlib users on the list to help you out with this,
    or simply ask for help in the writing on the list.

All in all, i feel this is just a minor requirement, since writing META
files is not all that difficult, a confirmation from one of the
intensive findlib users for the validity of the META file would be a big
help though.

>   - new location for shlibs ?

We have not yet decided on such a name, but basically, you would have to
move the dll.so into this directory, which will probably be
/usr/lib/ocaml/shlibs or /usr/lib/ocaml/libexec.

Myself, i think /usr/lib/ocaml/dyn_stub_libs or something such would be
better, since it is not so much that we are sharing such libs, but that
they are dynamically loaded, and i think it is important to put focus on
the fact that these libs are only the stub libraries and nothing more
(in particular, there are no .cma and other such in it).

Moving files to this new location can be done via the same dh_movefiles you
are using anyway, i think.

>   - what is going to change in the current ld.conf handling ?

Well, basically nothing, (for you that is) you can either completely
forget about it, no more dh_ocamlld, and such, and hope that ocaml-base
is installed (which it shouldaccording to your dependencies anyway), or
simply keep the dh_ocamlld call as is, just changing the install
directory.

The ocaml-ldconf tool and/or the ocaml source would need to be changed
in order to look into this dir.