Re: ocaml packaging policy ... (some points review)

>   1) Ocaml-ldconf and ld.conf handling
>
>     Contrary to the standard ocaml distribution, the path to
>     directories containing shared stub libraries is handled in two
>     different files, the user editable /etc/ocaml/ld.conf and the dpkg
>     handled /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf.

This sounds unclear to me, does the path is formed by the union of the
two files or not?

>     The ocaml-ldconf tool is used to generate the ld.conf file used by
>     the ocamlrun program.

<snip>

>     finally, the ocaml-ldconf program can also be used with the -l
>     argument to show a list of all current files in the ld.conf file.
>     It doesn't yet show the paths provided by other means (environment
>     variable and other such)

May we add an example here? I think that such a policy should also be
used be new maintainer that wants to approach the ocaml packaging so an
example may be useful. I can wrote down an example as soon as I manage
to have an ocaml 3.04-6 package :)

>        - libxxx-ocaml will provide the shared library stubs, and all
>        other stuff needed to run a dynamic loading ocaml bytecode
>        executable that

yuk, I like this naming schema :-)

>      - all bytecode executables should be dynamic loading, so as to
>      not bloat the archive.

Uhm ... to fascistic IMHO. We sould respect the upstream whishes.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney