Re: compiling ocaml stuff (... gwml, efuns)

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 09:50:19AM +0100, Georges Mariano wrote:
> Brent Fulgham wrote:
>
> > I have not tried building GwML under Ocaml 3.01 yet.  One problem with both
> > GwML and Efuns is that they require the source tree for OCaml to build, which
> > means I actually packaged them improperly (there is no way to declare a
> > dependency on the source of another package).
>
> ?? I don't understand clearly what you mean ...
> Because If you need the source of Ocaml you can set a build-dependancy on
> the package
> Ocaml, this leads to the downloading (and the building) of the source

No, if ocaml is already installed, nothing will be downloaded and built. Also
you have no guarantee tover the localization of the downloaded source in the
system.

What does it need the ocaml source for anyway ? Is it for some .h files that
didn't made it into the binary package ? In this case, we should just include
them. If not, most .ml, .mli, .cmi and .cmx are installed in /usr/lib/ocaml,
at least for the libraries.

The only remaining thing i see is a dependency on the ocaml code itself, in
this case two solution are possible :

  - just copy the whole ocaml source into the problematic package, and
    distribute it that way.

  - do the same, but strip the source to the bare minimum.

That said, they might be licensing problems, not sure though.