Re: lablgtk and slowness of examples

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 10:38:14AM +0200, DaVinci wrote:
>  Hello.
>
>  I have probed lablgtk with included examples. I think it is curiously slow,
>  compared to same exmples of gtk with Perl, Python or Ruby. But ocaml is a
>  very fast script language, faster than P, P and R...
>
>  Have you any idea of this?.
>
>  Examples where I see difference are, above all, those where there is more
>  computation, like creation of NoteBook in testgtk.ml

Well, i did see that the menu and scrolled window in testgtk show this
behavior, there don't seem to be any notbeook item in the testgtk menu though
in the version i use (1.2.0-3, i know there is a new version around, will
package it nextly).

Both of these functions are quite big, using references and Object
creation/destruction. I know that reference creation can trigger a garbage
collection, but i don't think it would really be influencing things here,
since it is only small programs. I am not strong enough in ocaml performance
to give any additional, so i will CC this to the lablgtk list.

Also, note that you can get a noticeable increase in speed if you try to
compile your program to native code with ocamlopt, but my trying this with
testgtk was not successfull.