Re: ocaml-findlib cannot compile on m68k

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 10:30:52AM +0200, Judicael Courant wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> >
> > I receive a bug report for findlib that state the failure of compilation
> > on m68k.
> > The reason is pretty simple and already know (not for me anyway): on
> > m68k ocaml optimizing compiler is not available.
> > Talking with Claudio I realize that this is an old problem widely know.
> >
> > What is the old adopted solution ?
> >

> I do not know what it is but I myself use an autoconf generated
> configure script testing whether the optimizing compiler is there or
> not. Then it sets a variable OCAMLBEST to "opt" or "byte", and the
> target "all" of my Makefile does ${MAKE} ${OCAMLBEST}.

Notice, that this will work ok, but at least for libraries, we have to provide
both the bytecode and the nativecode version.

I am still dubious about the non-library case, my initial approach was to
build both, since, in different cases it may be usefull to have both build,
but other prefer it differently.

> Here are the configure.in and template Makefile.in I use. As it is based
> on work from Jean-Christophe Filliâtre and Georges Mariano, so I have to
> have their formal agreement to put it in GPL but I think there is no
> problem with this (I already have the agreement of Jean-Christophe, I
> will see Georges today and will ask him).
> For the moment, there is no specific macro in this script. However, if
> anybody is interested and I could package the tests done in configure.in
> as new autoconf macros.

That could be usefull also, but may be a bit long, and more adapted for
upstream packages than the debianized version, but then maybe i am wrong. Did
not look at it in detail though.