Re: build-deps

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 02:31:37PM +0100, Georges Mariano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just in order to know  if I am able to do it
> (and maybe after that, to build some debs), I'm trying
> to compile  sid ocaml stuff
>
> apt-get source -b lablgtk
>
> leads to :
> l_gtkgl.c:4: gtkgl/gtkglarea.h: <missing file message in french LANG=fr_FR
> ;-)
>
> so that I have to do now ...
> apt-get source -b gtkglarea4-dev
> (just after apt-cache search gtkglarea)
>
> ok ok... and so on (until configure: error: Missing GL library :-)

Erm, ...

Could you provide all the missing dependencies you did see ?

I did not add build-dependencies at first, and anyway, it is a bit difficult
to track them all down, because they are stuff i had installed anyway on my
system.

> My suggestion is that we (ocaml-maint) should provide the build-deps...
> Yes, I know this is not mandatory but I think that
> providing the build-deps is related to packaging quality
> like
> using ocaml is related to programmaing quality ;-)

Yes, just fill a bug against the package if you see missing build deps, i
would have liked a automatic build-dep generator (could be done in the same
way fakeroot does it's work) but have no time for it.

Also notice, that apt-get source -b will vastly ignore build-dependencies,
isn't it, or at least dpkg-buildpackage does. Build deps are mostly a thing
used by the auto builders.