Re: LablGL and LablGtk packages are in master incoming.

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:25:28 +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> Will be doing it if you need them, but not before the first package i made
> reach the main debian archive, once that is done, upgrading will be a lot
> easier.

 No problem for that.

> Erm, ...
>
> What are these .h files for, and how exactly do you use them for adding new
> widgets ?

 A very stupid example: my widget takes in input two Gtk Adjustments.
 So, in the .c file of the binding of my widget, I need a function
 (a macro) to go from an OCaml val to a GtkAdjustment and the other
 way around. These macro are defined in the .h files (that are
 not installed now) or directly in the .c files (very bad habit).
 Example:

 #define GtkAdjustment_val(val) check_cast(GTK_ADJUSTMENT,val)

 Obviously I can redefine the macros in my binding, but this is, IMHO,
 the wrong way to proceed. And then, what if I want to call a
 method of an Adjustment in the C code of the binding?

 Note also that, sometimes, LablGtk uses heavily boxing for the
 pointers and then the macros are no more simple casts, but
 functions to box/unbox values.

 A last example is with polimorfic variants constructors: in the .h
 files I should find the C #definition for the constructors to use
 them in my bindings. Otherwise, I have to recompute them in my code.

 So I think that the first step is to install also the .h and the
 second one is to convince Garrigue that they must be completed/rewritten.
 But this is unrelated to packaging.

 					Hoping to have been clear,
						C.S.C.

Real name: Claudio Sacerdoti Coen
Graduate Computer Science Student at University of Bologna
Now on leaving at INRIA (Rocquencourt)
E-mail: sacerdot@cs.unibo.it
http://caristudenti.cs.unibo.it/~sacerdot