GeneWeb

Hi folks,

If you haven't noticed, I uploaded a new version of GwML that now
supports the Debian menu system.  Hope it works as well for everyone
else who's tried it.

I have packaged the GeneWeb program and uploaded it.  I believe there
may be a problem with the initial setup, so I will have to correct
that and upload it again.

However, after reading through the GeneWeb mailing list, I have
concerns that the upstream author does not really understand the
GPL or Open Source software.  A similar project based on PHP and
MySQL posted a message to the GeneWeb list and he was very upset,
stating that they were plagiarising and competing with his project.
He indicated he might change the license from GPL to something non-free,
although it looks like several months and at least one more release
has happened since that statement without a change in license.  I am
now a bit uneasy packaging this program.

I am considering deleting the upload.  Do any of you know the upstream
author?  Was the e-mail flame war the result of a language barrier
issue?  Or does he really not want any competition?

Thanks,

-Brent