Re: Greetings!

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 05:15:11AM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > Greetings fellow OCaml Jockeys:
> >
> > I'm just learning OCaml now, but have already become quite enamoured
> > with its flexibility and expressive features.
>
> Welcome :-)
>
> > lablgtk  -- GTK interface for OCaml
> > mlgtk    -- GTK interface for OCaml (alternative)
>
> I don't know any of these, just a remark: Is is it a goog idea to have both
> of the GTK interfaces ? Shouldn't we concentrate on one of them ?

No package both, diversity is our best friend here, and both were designed
with a different philosophy in mind. As a notice :

mlgtk was the first gtk+ interface, and it is maintained, developped and used
by me. I will not drop it whatever happens. It is said to have better thread
support than lablgtk.

lablgtk (and lablGL) is the gtk+ interface devbelopped by Jacques Guarrigues
(sure i mispelled that, sorry Jacques) for the olabl system, before it got
integrated with ocaml again in the 3.0 version, as such it will not work with
the potato version of ocaml (2.04). it makes more use of the object and label
stuff of olabl/ocaml 3.00, and is said to 'have a type system that only
Jacques Guarrigue understands'. I don't know i didn't use it trully, only had
a quick look.

BTW, Ralf, i see you are packaging mozart also, i had a look at it last year,
but never trully did it, since there where some includes issue, and it didn't
compile for me. Good luck to you for it, are you in contact with the authors ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER