Re: Introduction

Microsoft Charity Licensing in general, and Techsoup's even greater
discounts, greatly reduces the (lowercase) free argument for
(uppercase) Free software, at least for the initial purchase
decision.

One counter-argument is that Free software "klls the snake".
No worry about whether to pay for current upgrade or wait for
the next one.  And if you need a new webserver or office software
for 10 new uisers, you can set it up today, not "as soon as the
order goes through"

I agree there is a need to get more practical information into
the hands of non-profits.  Towards that end, I'm putting together
a presentation entitled "25 Free Software Applications
you can start using Monday".  Attendees would get a server
and a client CD, preconfigured to run Asterisk, Postfix, Gallery.

As always, the truly killer non-profit Free app for would be a high
quality donor tracking database.

>>> Scott Merrill <skippy@skippy.net> 8/24/2004 7:53:38 PM >>>
Hi.

I've literally _just_ found out about Debian-NP, and am extremely
interested in the project.  I volunteer with a local non-profit
organization's board, helping them develop and implement a comprehensive
IT plan.

Interestingly enough, a Microsoft employee is also on the board, and on
the IT committee.  It's been an eye-opening, but very rewarding,
experience so far.

The Microsoft employee, quite obviously, recommends MS solutions.  What
I've found most surprising, though, is the introduction of an
organization called TechSoup (www.techsoup.org) as the vendor for said
MS software.  TechSoup offers _remarkably_ inexpensive MS software to
non-profits:
http://www.techsoup.org/stock/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=TechSoupMain&category%5Fname=Servers+MS&Page=1&Cat1=Microsoft&CatCount=1
http://www.techsoup.org/stock/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=TechSoupMain&category%5Fname=Office+Tools+MS&Page=1&Cat1=Microsoft&CatCount=1

I am a little dismayed at how easy it is for unsuspecting non-profit
organizations to lock themselves into an all-MS future with these prices.

Are there any tips or suggestions for more effectively advocating Free
Software to non-profits?  I've penned an advocacy piece here:
http://charitychannel.com/articles/article_11060.shtml
but it's far too general to help many organizations deal with the
realities of day-to-day computing.

Cheers,
Scott