Re: Fund Accounting

On Thursday 12 August 2004 01:54, Jim Hall wrote:
> I may finally have a chance to get NP into my church. The accounting
> program (under Windoze) has been down for three days with no fix in
> sight. The Business Manager is so frustrated that she told me today that
> even Linux will be accepted if it doesn't break and does what we need to
> do. Since some of the organizations I've seen mentioned on this list
> seem fairly large, I'm hoping the Fund Accounting systems being worked
> on may work for my church.

Hi Jim,

I'm not a large organization, but I'm very familiar with the free software
accounting package called SQL-Ledger (http://www.sql-ledger.org).  I've
been using SQL-Ledger to handle my books for a couple years now and have
purchased the support contract from the author.

> The primary requirements are as follows.
>
>     1) Must allow more than one vendor for each custodial (or liability)
> account.

When you cut a PO in SQL-Ledger, the liability account can be chosen
independent from the choice of vendor.

>     2) Must handle more that one organization. For example: the
> Congregation is one organization, the Foundation is another. They, and
> others, are under the same overall unbrella.

If you want your financials to show entries from all companies, then you
probably will have to use account numbering to distinguish between
companies.  That could get ugly if you have a large chart of accounts.

If you can deal with an entirely seperate balance sheet and income
statement for each part of your organization, then you can create one
company for each.

>     3) Must handle many departments (currently 30-50) and custodial
> accounts (currently over 100).

SQL-Ledger can handle as many departments and liability accounts as you
want.

I would suggest posting your query to the sql-ledger-users mailing list,
and provide them with a few more details; for example, is a "custodial
account" something more than a liability account, and some more
information on your multi-company requirement.

The user group is very helpful and includes a few accountants.  You can
find the instructions off the home page referenced above.

Regards,

--
Mark Bucciarelli, www.hubcapconsulting.com
  GNU/Linux user #266,902 at http://counter.li.org