Re: Java/J2EE and the future..

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:24:46PM -0400, Chris wrote:
> > But you are using the proprietary ClassPath, right? Are you
> > primarily engaged in reimplementing the ClassPath to fit your needs
> > as it developers?  This would be a better comparison of what GNU
> > did.
>
> ClassPath as in "GNU ClassPath".. not proprietary.  It's the lowest
> layer of the Java stack that I need.  I am hoping that by the time
> InfoCentral "next generation" is reaching version 1.0, a fully Open
> Source 'Java enterprise' stack will be available.  As Dalibor noted,
> it's not too far off.

Sounds great. I look forward to this happening and I'm sure we all
look forward to having the new improved InfoCentral in Debian-NP
proper. :)

In the mean time, you can certainly "debianize" your software and
provide unofficial repositories so that people can add these to their
/etc/apt/sources.list file and still be able to apt-get InfoCentral
into Debian. It seems possible that you'd even be able to put the
packages into Debian contrib and get many of the advantage of having a
program in Debian -- I don't know really know the details of
maintaining packages in contrib/non-free.

> > You can help organize or advocate this as well.
>
> Certainly.  I was actually thinking about writing a lengthy
> analysis/advocacy essay series regarding areas where Open Source is
> weak today and what can be done to improve the situation.  Java will
> be one of many topics.  Also, ways for ordinary folks to contribute
> financially if they do not have requisite programming skills.

Sounds interesting. Please send it to me or the list if/when you do
this. :)

Regards,
Mako

--