Re: Java/J2EE and the future..

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 7:55, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Jonas didn't run last time around I tried because of CAROL's
> dependency on some undocumented sun.* API. OpenEJB breaks quite
> early since it's developers decided that they needed to use
> reflection on the precise names on internal fields of Sun's
> implementation to access information that wasn't exposed through
> some API. When you implement something in a clean-room fashion,
> chances are you won't be able to guess the unspecified bits right.
> The problem with most of the free J2EE implementations I tried was
> that they have dependencies on the 'unspecified bits'. So a few
> volunteers that could help out with identifying those bits, and
> finding workarounds would be most welcome. Some experience using
> the free J2EE solutions would be a plus [1] :)

Are you currently aware of any issues with JBoss that would hamper its
ability to run on a "pure" Java 1.4 runtime?  I'm trying to figure
out which J2EE app server would be best to target..

> [1] Yeah, I know I sound like a HR ad for free java, but hey, if
> you want GNU Classpath to become a useable platform for your field
> of endeavour, you need to donate a little bit of your time and
> knowledge to make it get there (sooner).

I certainly would right away if I could.  I'm actually quite new to
Java myself, let alone J2EE.  But once I get everything figured out,
I will certainly do what I can.

Incidentally, thanks for the insightful email.

Chris