Re: FW: [TechTalk] "Action Center" project idea for the ambitious, bored, or obsessive...

Michael-

What a happy coincidence. There is work being done on this as we speak. The geocoder.us folks are doing all the GIS stuff (turning zip+4 into congressional districts) and downhillbattle.org (a music/copyfight group that I help run) is doing the rest. Civicspacelabs.org (they make a distro of the Drupal CMS for activists) are providing support. The goal is to make the kind of functionality provided as a pay service by congress.org completely free to everyone.

We're planning to have our first release out by August 1. For the initial release we're providing contacting Congress functionality (email, phone, fax) as well as skeleton functionality to build an entirely free database of media contacts (phone, fax, letter to the editor emails) for the whole U.S. We're scraping the data from public sources, so all the information should stay fresh as things get updated.

Phase 2 will be extending it to cover state and local governments in the U.S., and internationalizing it.

A detailed description of phase 1 is up here:
http://advocacydev.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DownhillBattleLabs

There's more general info about the scope of the project, and a mailing list, here;
http://advocacydev.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenDatabases

Y'all NPOtechs folks should get involved in this. There will very soon be a TON of work to be done.

Holmes Wilson
downhillbattle.org
worcestercoop.org

Michael Maranda wrote:

I've been quiet on the debian -np list for a while, but thought I'd
stick my neck out there again as I have slightly more time available,
expect another follow-up message in a moment!