Debian-NP @ Debconf4

Greetings from Brazil!

There have been several threads on this list in the last half year
about planning for a sort of "mini-conference" or hack session on
Debian-NP at Debconf4[1] in Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Well, Debconf4 begins next week and we've managed to organize a
Debian-NP side of the convention to get the most out of the talks,
knowledge and attendees that will be at Debconf.  We're happy to see
that it's turning into the sort of focused hack-session that we'd
envisioned.

From the looks of things, we will have something like 10-15 hackers at
Debconf that are interested in and/or active in supporting Debian in
non-profits. Best yet, while some of these are familiar names around
Debian-NP, a number will be people from organizations or projects
working with non-profit organizations and Debian but who have yet to
really integrate their work back into the Free Software community and
see Debian-NP as one avenue to do this -- and Debconf as one
opportunity.

We thought it would be nice if made it official, so we're calling the
hack meeting "Bangunça" which is (evidently) Portuguese for "mess",
the good, fun kind. There is initial information about goals and
schedule up on the Debconf website here:

  http://www.debconf.org/debconf4/bagunca

The meeting will go for the duration of Debconf: May 26 -> June 2

In addition to the week of work, the conference has given us one day
of space (June 2) for sessions. Enrico and I will be running a session
called "Custom Debian Distributions Are the Last, Ultimate Step
Towards Total World Domination!" that touches on a lot of NP related
issues. We'll also have some more low-key (and NP specific) pieces
that are currently detailed here:

  http://www.debconf.org/debconf4/bagunca#npday

On the last day, we're going to be joined by some tech and FOSS-savvy
South American NGO folks meeting with folks from Tactical Tech
Collective (who will also attend). We hope to do some networking,
brainstorming, critiquing and visioning with these representatives of
the groups we're trying to work with.

Everything of course is flexible and suggestions from anyone
(especially those not attending) would be fantastic.

Last, but certainly not least, we're absolutely interested in
involving those of us (most of us, really) who could not make it to
Porto Alegre. Feedback and suggestions on how to do this are
particularly welcome. I've already registered "bagunca.debian.net" and
we're considering wikis and public websites and version control
systems to put up there. We will also all be inhabiting the #debian-np
IRC channel during the entire week.

Major thanks go to Micah who's last minute burst of work made this all
possible.

Regards,
Mako

[1] http://www.debconf.org/debconf4