Re: Java/J2EE and the future..

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 8:38, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

> There is a difference between using proprietary tools to write Free
> replacements for those tools and writing new software that
> perpetuates non-free dependencies without helping to make any
> progress on the free status of those dependencies.

IIRC, RMS started by trying to develop a C compiler (the first of
which failed) and then moved on to write Emacs before beginning work
on what became the modern gcc.  So you could perhaps say that Emacs
perpetuated the proprietary compiler, libc, and Unix'es that it
required to build and run until alternatives were developed.
Ironically, RMS has upon numerous occasions tried to discourage
people from using Java, perhaps either forgetting his own roots or
else simply unaware that it's the currently best/only tool for many
jobs.  Sadly, this attitude has caused many to shun Java altogether
rather than say "Hey, we need this!  Lets get this thing Open
Source'd ASAP"  As a result, there are dozens of fledgling projects
trying unsuccessfully to re-invent the wheel.

> I suspect there will be missing pieces for a long way to come. I
> remember how ten years, the kernel was the last remaining missing
> piece. :)

hehe.. well, we've been playing catch up for quite a few years.  I
guess I was thinking more about the foundational software /
development tools / etc.  There will always be new apps to write.

> But you are using the proprietary ClassPath, right? Are you
> primarily engaged in reimplementing the ClassPath to fit your needs
> as it developers?  This would be a better comparison of what GNU
> did.

ClassPath as in "GNU ClassPath".. not proprietary.  It's the lowest
layer of the Java stack that I need.  I am hoping that by the time
InfoCentral "next generation" is reaching version 1.0, a fully Open
Source 'Java enterprise' stack will be available.  As Dalibor noted,
it's not too far off.

> You can help organize or advocate this as well.

Certainly.  I was actually thinking about writing a lengthy
analysis/advocacy essay series regarding areas where Open Source is
weak today and what can be done to improve the situation.  Java will
be one of many topics.  Also, ways for ordinary folks to contribute
financially if they do not have requisite programming skills.

Chris