Goals of Deabian NP....

Salut Enrico !

J'essaye en anglais ! I'll try in english for the other recipients but please, forget my english as it's not my native language. I hope this won't lead to major misunderstandings !!!

Hello, How are you ?

I had a look on the wiki for the goals of debian NP. I propose to add the following goals :

1) Manage that everybody can print on the printer
2) Manage information about the peripheric supported under Linux
3) Manage that everybody can share the same base of documentation
4) Accounting
5) Manage the possibility to export easily data from the accounting to excel
6) Manage diffusion lists
7) manage a common agenda
8) Manage the possibility to connect to the computers of the NPO from home
9) Manage the possibility to create npo's own newspaper
10) manage mailing lists
11) Manage a saveguard of the data
12) manage that the friend that helps the NPO can maintain the network from home
13) manage an antivirus, so that viruses coming in cannot be exported to others
14) manage the scanner can be used from all computers
15) manage the numeric camera
16) manage npo can write letters
17) manage npo can organize its budget and monthly financial repport
18) Manage information about the state of the harddisks so that it can be changed before it brakes
19) Manage the NPO can make its website
20) Manage NPO doesn't loose ANY data by moving from Microsoft to Linux or Reciprocivly
21) Manage the linux is not very different to use than the present system (migration)
22) Manage NPO doesn't need an engineer to install a new machine on the network
23) Manage npo gets its programs updates easily
24) manage an easy-to-use database
25) and many other goals....

Actually, all those goals are mainly fullfilled by the Debian-PraKsys distribution, and if not, Guillaume is working on it. But of course, those goals are (or will be) fullfilled with tools that are presently available. PraKsys's position is to say that we are aware of the needs of NPO's, and we propose the "Best Available Technology" or the "State of the Art". For sure, we are not aware exactly of the needs of NPO's. We lack for sure, a vision of the direction of evolution of our distribution. What we need is a possibility to have a certain impact on projects that can improve the tool we have pakaged.
On the other hand, what you need is a real help from the NPO sector. You will not found the goals if there aren't some NPO's fully involved, with the possibility to test the works continiously along the project.

This is why I propose to you and to the debian-NP team, the best complementarity between us. Debian NP develops in parallel two projects, one feeding the other. The first is the present one, "debian-NP-unstable" and the second is the PraKsys distribution, that you could call "debian-NP-stable".
Definitions :
"debian-NP-unstable" : Is the experimental branch. Collects all the needs of the NPO's, selects thoses needs into pakages and leads projects to solve the pakages. Profits from "debian-NP-stable" that runs on many computers on NPO networks, and that can remote all uncovered needs.
"debian-NP-stable" : Is the stable branch. Proposes a solution with available programs. Can be used imediatly. Collects the lacks detected by users, and feeds the "debian-NP-unstable" with those lacks. Integrates the innovations from "debian-NP-unstable" as beta tester.

What's your position about this ? I would love to integrate debian-NP, and I need your help so that our team doesn't return back to the work we have done one year ago...

Many good things to you. We work 24/24 for NPOs, means we work 24/24 for debian-NP !

Jean-Christophe

PS1 : Please again, if some parts of my text are not to understand, tell it to me, i'll write it an other way...
PS2 : Guillaume told me about a meeting around a desktop project on the web at 1:00 am in the night from wensday to thursday. I told him it must be 1:00 pm! Can you confirm ?