Re: Introduction

Hi Brian

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:22:51 -0400
Brian Roberg <robergb@dm.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was quite excited to learn about the Debian Nonprofit project at the
>
> Plone conference last week.  I am a system administrator for
> DiscipleMakers, a relatively small Christian campus ministry in
> Pennsylvania, USA.  We have had great success using Free software over
>
> the past several years, and we want to help other nonprofits benefit
> as well.  A collaborative effort like this is definitely something
> we're interested in.
>
> In many respects, my organization is a typical small nonprofit.  We
> have about 45 staff, including nine full-time administrative staff in
> our headquarters.  Nearly all of our staff rely exclusively on
> personal support raising for their funding.
>
> In the area of computing, though, I think we're quite different from
> the average small nonprofit.  I am one of two full-time sysadmins, and
> we have one full-time developer and another raising his support.
> We've been working hard to find free software solutions for our needs.
>
> Our software developer has spent the last year or so working on
> "Doulos," an extensible application framework.  A beta version is
> available at http://doulos.sourceforge.net/  He's well along in
> developing a conference registration system built using this
> framework, and will work on a receipting system next.  We welcome
> anyone's involvement in this project.
>
> It looks like there hasn't been much activity on this list of late,
> which I hope does not mean that people have lost interest.  I would
> very much like to learn about how other nonprofits are using free
> software to meet their requirements, and I hope to be able to help.

I have been working for The Wilderness Society, a National Environment
group in Australia. We have just recently completed shifting our website
to an open source content management system and as part of this I
undertook an evaluation of a number of open source CMSs. I put this
documentation on the web and have been adding to it as I find useful
things that can be utilised at The Wilderness Society, and get time to
document them. Some things might be useful to other groups. Anyway the
site is www.ngogeeks.com

> Brian

Cheer
John