Re: ANN: Calendula --fundraising for nonprofits and schools

On Thursday 31 July 2003 08:16 pm, Darryl Caldwell wrote:

> One of the most important pieces of software at work in most nonprofit
> organizations is the fundraising management system.  This was true even
> before the current economic climate, it is an imperative now.
> Fundraising management systems in the form of specialized databases help
> NPOs track their donors, prospective donors, and help manage their
> events.

>   * We hope to make a system that can be generalized.  While we want to
>     address fundraising needs first and foremost, we also want to build
>     an infrastructure that can be used for other application that deal
>     with the human contacts a foundation makes: action centers,
>     political organizing, conference planning, general contact management.

The things you describe are all features I intend to add to the existing
project, InfoCentral, of which I am now the lead developer.  Perhaps we can
coordinate our efforts to avoid duplicating the same work.

Right now, InfoCentral is a primarily a membership information database,
though I recently added some basic donation tracking support. (btw, despite
what the homepage says, it is not really church-specific..)  InfoCentral is
written in PHP, though unfortunately it has no database-backend abstraction
at this time. (designed around MySQL)  In the near future I intend to begin a
re-work of the internals using proper three-tier design and with an XML-based
application server.  Eventually, what now exists will only be the web-client.

From what I can tell from your preliminary database schema in
calendula-pg.sql, you are aiming largely for functionality that is already
implemented in InfoCentral.  (in fact, several of the tables we use are
nearly identical)  I would encourage you to take a look at what we've got so
far and see if you think it would make sense to syncronize efforts.  I would
certainly be flexible in changing the database schema of InfoCentral to match
our mutual needs if we decided to do so.  I personally think a couple of your
ideas are better than what we currently have implemented (specifically the
seperate address and phone tables..)

Let me know what you think..

Chris Gebhardt
---