Re: [Debian-NP] Introduction and a few thoughts

> started to build relationships with a number of small orgs.  We base our
> support around the e-smith server built on top of Red Hat which has
> extensive Web and GUI based configuration options.  Our rational being
> that the client should be handling all daily tasks and minor
> configuration tweaks calling us only for advise and the initial setup of
> the box.

What is e-smith? Can you provide a link so we can see if it has
something that we might be able to use in this project? I am guessing
it is this:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/e-smithserverandgateway/?topic_id=129%2C43%2C136%2C150%2C151
which looks like it is called SME Server now, it is unclear to me, but
I am guessing by the gloss on the site, that it is a commercial
product. However, it does have some sources available.

I think you are right about your rational about daily-tasks vs.
initial setup and advise. It would be nice if we could get it so
initial setup is easy too.

> What I would like to see is Knoppix live cds to make hardware detection
> and setup simple, many donated boxes have lost the original manuals or
> are bolted together from other peoples trash.

Check out www.morphix.org, basically knoppix, but modular, so it makes
creating a customized distribution easy (hey thats what we are doing!)

Micah