[john.bywater@appropriatesoftwarefoundation.org: [SummerSource-L] AFRICA'S FIRST LINUX DESKTOP IMPI LAUNCHED IN SOUTH AFRICA]

Hello,

I'm forwarding this because it also contains news about an accounting
software, made in South Africa, that seems nice: http://www.cubit.co.za/

As I recall we were looking for accounting software...

Ciao,

Enrico
--- Begin Message ---
hello all - FYI - very interested to know opinions about this

#########################

*   AFRICA'S FIRST LINUX DESKTOP IMPI LAUNCHED IN SOUTH AFRICA

Africa has given birth to her own Linux distribution, Impi Linux, free for
all at the Linux website. It was not an easy birth. Two years and two false
births, Impi Linux was finally born to South Africa's Gauteng Linux Users
Group, www.glug.org.za.

Impi is the Zulu word for 'a group of warriors' and Impi Linux is one
with a host of proven open source software.

There is also a site called OpenOffice that is freely available from
www.openoffice.org. OpenOffice has word processing, spreadsheet and
presentation software, and can open and save files in existing Microsoft
Office formats, along with its own file formats. Impi also has a South
Africa's open source financial application called Cubit.

The current release of Cubit matches the functionality of a proprietary
application such as Accpac -- the financial guys must get the trend.
Like other open source programmes, Cubit is free. It can also be downloaded
from www.cubit.co.za. What is this about Impi Linux when there are a
host of Linuxes around, you may wonder?

"Most developers in the "first world" countries have no idea of the
conditions on our continent. Waiting around for a foreign developer or
company to give us something that we need, merely echoes the legacy of
colonialism. We need to dispose of that mindset," said Ross Addis in an
e-mail interview.

"Impi Linux proves that Africans are capable of being self-determined
in the digital world," he also said. Addis, technology consultant at MIP
Holdings, is chairman of the Gauteng Linux User Group that gave birth to Impi
Linux.

He said Impi is as good as any other Linux system, even better. Impi
comes with the Linux tradition of stability and being less prone to virus
attacks.

"Sure a few [viruses] have been written, but they haven't really made
any impact. Linux systems are normally more secure that other OSes and
because of the diverse nature of the distributions, desktop interfaces and
packages, it would be very difficult for a virus to infect all Linux systems,"
Addis added.

Another unique feature of Impi Linux is that it will eventually have
translations of South Africa's 11 official languages. But Ugandans and
other Africans should not lose hope. Impi Linux is about choice. Get a free
download from www.impi.org.za and modify it to suit you. So, is there
hope for a version in Luganda or Swahili? "Of course. We will also be
looking at adding the various African languages," he said.

"Where possible, we will try to involve the local academic and IT
communities in implementing their language in Impi Linux," Addis also
said. And that is the spirit of open source software development -- a
community of developers working for the good of all.

(source:New Vision)

--- End Message ---