Intro

Hi,

I've posted a couple times here, but neglected to introduce myself.  I'm a
programmer in Western Mass, and know Mako from his involvement in the LUG
there.  (Hi Mako!)

I think there is a great fit between Free Software and the non profit world,
and think this project is a good idea.

Currently, I am working on a project to write a shared calendar system for a
non-profit (https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/realtime/).  The non-profit
applied for a grant and it was awarded!  This is a model that may work larger
scale (but only if people are better at estimating the required time that I
am !!  <sigh>).

One thing I have learned from the alpha release of RealTime is that small
nonprofits are _not technical_.  I don't know how to make this point strongly
enough.  Part of the spec is to build a one-click installer for Windows.
Here's one verbatim response from a potential alpha tester, caps and all:

I'D LOVE NOTHING BETTER TO TRY THIS BUT EITHER WAY WE CAN'T SEEM TO USE IT ON
OUR COMPUTER & OUR COMPUTER GURU IS ON VACATION.  SORRY.

I don't post this to show how superior we all are, but to calibrate our
sights.  For some (non-trivial?) segment of the small nonprofits _users_, a
one-click installer is too complicated.

On a completely different not, I'm planning on going to the regional N-10
conference in Boston this fall.  Anyone else here going?  For those that
don't know, N-10 is a national organization that is focused on software and
non-profits.  I believe they will also be having a conference on the west
coast, in the not too distant future.

Finally, I noticed this project on savannah.gnu.org (administered by Bradley
Kuhn, no less!): http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/calendula/

<quote>
Today's cash-strapped nonprofit organizations (NPOs) need as much help as they
can get in their fundraising efforts. Most nonprofits rely heavily on
fundraising software systems to manage their donors and prospective donors.
The Calendula project was created to offer nonprofits a Free Software
alternative to the mostly proprietary fundraising/contact management systems
that dominate the field.
</quote>

Regards,

--
Mark Bucciarelli, www.hubcapconsulting.com
    He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself