Introduction and Topic for a Grant-Writing Collaborative Project

Well, I'm here on the list too.  Been lurking as I don't have any
programming background.

I am interested in promoting Open Source solutions in the non-profit
arena and for the community in general.

I am a member of a group in the Chicago are called NPOTechs.  Visit our
web site at NPOTechs.org.    This group coordinates volunteer efforts to
support non-profits and schools with tech issues.

I am also part of the management of a non-profit.  Been here almost 4
years, mostly doing development work.  That is, grant writing.  :)

I am interested in developing tools that make the work life and the work
process better for people I have to work with, so I was considering how
to modify some sort of Content Management Framework tool to allow
coordination and collaboration of the grant writing/development process.
I see two places where I myself could make use of this... Firstly
directly in my organization where we have multiple departments offering
really different services and programs-there I want to have persons in
the department involved in identifying potential funding sources and
developing the proposal with my oversight and with the help of others
including my one development staff.

The second place I would utilize this is to coordinate similar
activities in the context of an organization that has 1 staff and a (an
unpaid) working board... I'm on the development committee of that board,
and we need to collaborate a distance.

Basic elements in common to both include some sort of internet based
access.  Secure document repository with permissions for different
access.  Secure area for subgroups to be able to collaborate on
documents and make notes.  We should be able to upload revised documents
too, in a common word processing format.  We should have a bulletin
board area adjacent to each project or otherwise logically accessible.
I was thinking a closed wiki might work.

I've been researching Zope as a basis for these activities, but it seems
I have a steep learning curve ahead.

Any thoughts?

-Michael

Michael Maranda
Acting Executive Director
& Director of Programs
Korean American Community Services
4300 N California Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 583-5501 x107
(773) 583-7009 FAX
Michael@kacschgo.org
WWW.KACSCHGO.ORG