Introduction

I just learned about this mailing list a few days ago via an e-mail newsletter that deals with IT and charities. I'd like to introduce myself and ask a few newcomer-style questions.

My experience with computer technology covers 25 years, mostly in software development, but also in infrastructure support, R&D.... My roles have been everywhere from hands-on developer to manager (and back!). On the non-profit side, my interest developed second-hand by taking note of the problems faced by organizations that my wife encountered in her business. She consults on non-profit governance, among other things.

Over the past few months, I've been thinking more about what can be done to support technology in non-profits. On one side, proprietary software is clearly too expensive and too limiting; on the other, free software is scary in the "ThereAintNoSuchThingAsAFreeLunch" sense. This leads me to believe that the social "selling" of Open Source among non-profits is much more important than the technology aspect. To that end, having a distribution that tells the sector that someone cares about their special interests must be a good idea.

Is there any kind of jump-start information for someone new to the list?
For example: one of the ideas I've been kicking around is an extension to -- or a customization of -- the Open For Business project <http://www.ofbiz.org/>. It would be nice to know if that's already being considered.

I'm also interested in basic information about the project's timetable and organization.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714