Debian Weekly News - May 29th, 2002

Debian Weekly News
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2002/22/
Debian Weekly News - May 29th, 2002

Welcome to this year's twentysecond issue of DWN, the weekly
newsletter for the Debian community. We're sorry for a rather small
issue, but Joey is currently too busy with other things. Hence, it
is rather unlikely that we'll be able to create an issue for the next
week. One of our own [1]news articles was apparently [2]quoted in the
Sydney Morning Herald.

 1. http://www.debian.org/News/2002/20020522
 2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg02378.html

Bandwidth Monitoring. Brian May [3]wondered what the best way with
Debian would be to monitor IP packets sent/received over an external
(ie. volume charged) connection? He wants to know how many bytes a
host A did receive on what port, which internal host received the most
external traffic etc. He included a summary and [4]summarized answers
as well.

 3. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg01822.html
 4. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg01955.html

Apt Preferences Brian May was [5]confused about how apt treated his
preferences. His setup includes the pinning feature many people use
when they mix testing and unstable. Not many people replied, not many
probably grok this feature.

 5. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg01829.html

On Packaging WineX. Last Week there was some [6]confusion since Marc
Leeman sent an [7]ITP (Intent to Package) for WineX, which is WINE
with compatibility for games developed using DirectX. Upstream
[8]asked Debian not to distribute this package, it was said that
distributing it would hurt the upstream company and it was even said
that they have [9]threatened to change their license to specifically
ban Debian from having such a package. Later Marc dropped the package
and [10]explained why.

 6. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg02165.html
 7. http://bugs.debian.org/147303
 8. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg02463.html
 9. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg02174.html
 10. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0205/msg02823.html

New Debian Flyers. With regard to the upcoming [11]LinuxTag exhibition
and conference Jens Schmalzing and Michael Banck created a new
bilingual (German and English) flyer for Debian. This time it is
created with Free Software as long as that was possible. Even though
LaTeX was involved, the [12]design doesn't reflect what most people
expect from it. Karl Hammar already [13]translated the flyer into
english and brazilian people seem to be interested as well. Printing
in Germany is sponsored by [14]credativ.

 11. http://www.debian.org/events/2002/0606-linuxtag
 12. http://people.debian.org/~jensen/flyer/flyer.ps.gz
 13. http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu-0205/msg00436.html
 14. http://www.credativ.de/

New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the
Debian archive recently or contain important updates.

 * [15]ccmsn -- An MSN messenger written in tcl.
 * [16]chrootuid -- Run commands in restricted environments.
 * [17]ecb -- Code browser for several languages for Emacs.
 * [18]euler -- an interactive mathematical program.
 * [19]fluxconf -- FluxBox configuration utility.
 * [20]goo -- The GOO Programming Language.
 * [21]gorm -- Visual Interface Builder for GNUstep.
 * [22]gpgp -- GNOME front-end to GnuPG - a free PGP replacement.
 * [23]gradm -- Administration program for the GrSecurity ACL system.
 * [24]gween -- Template system for developing dynamic websites.
 * [25]hitop -- A high-level website description language.
 * [26]jpilot-syncmal -- Mobile Application Link plugin for jpilot
   (Palm Pilot desktop).
 * [27]mooix -- Unix is the moo.
 * [28]owl -- A curses-based tty Zephyr client.
 * [29]privoxy -- Privacy enhancing HTTP Proxy.
 * [30]projectcenter -- IDE for GNUstep Development.
 * [31]pymol -- An OpenGL Molecular Graphics System written in
   Python.
 * [32]qcl -- A language for quantum computers.
 * [33]sitemap -- Makes an HTML site map from meta tags from other
   HTML pages.
 * [34]splint -- A tool for statically checking C programs for bugs.
 * [35]xbvl -- A Lisp implementation developed at Paris 8 University.
 * [36]zwm -- Zadka's Window Manager.

 15. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/x11/ccmsn.html
 16. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/admin/chrootuid.html
 17. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/devel/ecb.html
 18. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/math/euler.html
 19. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/x11/fluxconf.html
 20. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/devel/goo.html
 21. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/devel/gorm.html
 22. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/utils/gpgp.html
 23. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/admin/gradm.html
 24. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/web/gween.html
 25. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/web/hitop.html
 26. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/otherosfs/jpilot-syncmal.html
 27. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/misc/mooix.html
 28. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/net/owl.html
 29. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/web/privoxy.html
 30. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/devel/projectcenter.html
 31. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/science/pymol.html
 32. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/interpreters/qcl.html
 33. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/web/sitemap.html
 34. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/devel/splint.html
 35. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/interpreters/xbvl.html
 36. http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/x11/zwm.html

Seen something interesting? Please drop us a note whenever you see
something noteworthy that you think is appropriate for inclusion in
DWN. We don't see everything, unfortunately, and this month will be a
busy one for us. Of course, we are also thankful for completely
written items from volunteer writers. We're looking forward to
receiving your mail at [37]dwn@debian.org.

 37. mailto:dwn@debian.org