Debian Weekly News - May 23rd, 2000

Debian Weekly News
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/current/issue/
Debian Weekly News - May 23rd, 2000

Welcome to Debian Weekly News, a newsletter for the Debian developer
community.

No Debian Weekly News was published last week because there was little
to report on, except [8]indecision about what to do about the first
test cycle. The test cycle started slowly, and [9]CD images were not
available until this Monday. We have learned something from this test
cycle though -- as Richard Braakman said, "The first test cycle
flushed out some coordination problems" and "We hope that the next
cycle will be a more thorough test of the distribution itself."

And in the meantime, it has become clear that we do need another test
cycle. Boot-floppies team leader Adam Di Carlo [10]wrote that "We need
a release kernel, not a a pre-release kernel. We need to fix some
rather nasty problems in boot-floppies". And so Richard Braakman has
[11]called an end to the current test cycle today, with plans to start
another one on the 29th. In preparation for that, he plans to "remove
most of the packages that have release-critical bugs from potato" on
the 25th and 26th. Read [12]his message for other important details.

[13]Here's an update on plans for the First Debian Conference in
France, which is being held as part of the Libre Software Meeting. RMS
will be there to talk about the HURD, and Wichert Akkerman will be
there. The organizers hope to have several conferences plus coding
parties where real work can be done. They are looking for speakers and
also for sponsors. Also it's been proposed that this not be a one-time
affair, but instead be an annual event that moves to a new country
each year. If you are a developer who is interested in the conference,
please fill out [14]this short survey to let the organizers know what
to expect.

Helix Code has [15]released Debian packages of Helix Gnome. It sounds
like they went all out to make these well behaved Debian packages: "We
really want to do this right. In particular, we want all of our
packages to be lintian clean. If you find a policy violation in a
Helix GNOME package, it's a bug. "

Should packages that depend on packages in non-US/main be put in main,
contrib, or non-US/main? Before non-US was split, the answer was
"contrib". Now, though, what should be done is less clear. The most
[16]popular choice seems to be non-US/main, with various arguments
being made for each of the choices.

In server news, ftp.debian.org has been [17]upgraded and moved so it
is connected directly to an international network backbone. When
potato is finally released, we'll be ready ...

New packages in Debian this week include the following and [18]11
more:
  * [19]cbrowser: a C/C++ source code indexing, querying and browsing
    tool
  * [20]pharmacy: A GNOME front-end to CVS
  * [21]sqmgrlog: Report generator for squid
  * [22]starfish: X wallpaper generator.
  * [23]viewcvs: Viewing CVS Repositories via HTTP