Re: Christopher Obbard: Declaration of intent to become a DD, upl.

Hi Gunnar,

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 at 15:46, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org> wrote:

> Christopher Obbard (via nm.debian.org) dijo [Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 08:09:20PM -0000]:
> > I would like to apply to change my status in Debian to Debian
> > Developer, uploading.
> >
> > I have worked on maintaining some packges for the past six months
> > and I would like to be able to upload packages to the NEW queue
> > without a sponsor.
>
> It is customary to give more information -- which kind of packages are
> you interested in? Which teams or people have you most interacted
> with? If directly uploading to NEW is an issue (I understand you are
> already a DM), do you plan to introduce many new packages? What are
> their unifying factors / why are you interested in them?

Thank you for your comment. I see now that the original text is
inexcusably lacking detail!
I have expanded on my original declaration of intent below and updated
my application.

I would like to apply to change my status in Debian to Debian
Developer, uploading.

I have worked on maintaining some packages for the past six months as
a Debian Maintainer and I would like to be able to upload packages to
the NEW queue without a sponsor. I'd like to introduce some more
packages related to the existing packages I have worked on as well as
contribute to existing packages without additional barriers of not
being a Debian Developer. I feel that my past experience shows that I
am experienced enough to be a full member of the Debian project.

In Debian so far I have packaged useful tools including some
multimedia packages, qpwgraph and fluster. I have also packaged some
embedded development packages, used to write data to some targets,
including rkdeveloptool and qdl.

I have taken over the maintenance of the Debian packages debos and
golang-github-go-debos-fakemachine, where I am also involved with
maintenance upstream.

In terms of other packages, I have contributed some additional
development board support to the u-boot package and I have contributed
the rusticl driver packaging to mesa.

Also I have contributed some additional board support work to the
linux and initramfs-tools packages.

I have interacted with the python, go, rust and backports teams.

Overall I think my past interactions with the Debian project show that
I touch the whole stack of a modern Linux system. I have been
developing Linux systems, always using Debian as a base, for well over
ten years now.

I started working with 64 Studio Ltd in 2010 where I helped maintain
the 64 Studio multimedia distribution as well as the tooling to
develop such distributions. This consisted of a project called PDK
("Platform Development Kit"). Eventually there was no need for the
distribution, since our changes were pushed back into Debian making
the ecosystem work for everyone.

Since 2020 I have been working with Collabora Ltd where I help to
develop Debian derivatives and custom Debian images for customer's
projects. All of the work I do, including new features, bug reports
and packaging ends up being pushed back to Debian or the open source
world where possible.

Hopefully it helps explain my position further. If you have any
further suggestions or comments, please do ask.

Cheers!
Chris